Post to come! Like or comment below if you want to see my makeup collection/storage!!!!
This post took me a while to write. So bear with me. My favorite part of doing makeup is my mascara. I seldom wear eyeshadow so I really want my small eyes to POP and stop looking so tired. My makeup usually fades but the one thing that I want to stay are my gravity-defying lashes.
I personally really like the extreme Kim-K look because I don’t care if they come out chunky. I have dark features and dark hair so its not as noticeably bad on me than it is on someone with lighter lashes.
Unfortunately, I’m not blessed with the skill on how to wear fake lashes. I’ve tried. I really have. I just can’t do it.
So I do what I can to make them make a statement themselves.
Before I go into detail of my favorites/not so favorites, I want to give you guys my tips for mascaras.
1. ALWAYS GET THE SAMPLE SIZE. The amount of control you have from the small brush is incomparable. The big wand is nice but the little wand gives you more precision and your able to really do some magic. I hate buying mascaras that are large and I often gravitate towards the minis. I stock up on them during gifts with purchases or the sephora holiday sets.
2. Curl them first! This seems obvious but sometimes people curl after they’ve applied the mascara and I don’t understand why this is. It bends your lashes that have been coated with fibers and its not good for them. Its also not fun to get the sticky mascara on your curler. I personally skip the curling unless I’m feeling like trying something different.
3. Wiggle and look down. Another obvious one but still worth mentioning. Wiggle the brush and keep your eyes down. Keep doing this and then look up and apply a final coat.
4. Do the bottom lashes for extra OOMPH. You’ll thank me. You’re eyes will like bright open and glamorous!
5. Use a primer! It gives a nice coat for your lashes to stick to, and most of them make your lashes look longer. Beware though, the ones I’ve tried give you a white look and you gotta wait for that white to dry before you go in with a black coat.
6. The most important tip I can give you: Layer, layer, layer! Layer different mascaras on top of one another! Every mascara offers something different. So if you have one that gives amazing volume and another that gives amazing length, layer the two. The combined affect is outrageous!
Here is a composite list of all the mascaras I’ve tried ever. I have a few more samples at home of things I’ll try once these are over. I tried to include photos of the brushes too.
1. CoverGirl Lash Blast
This was my first mascara ever! I bought the orange one and the pink one because I liked how chunky the tubes were. I don’t remember much of but I don’t’ think I was very fond of them. They did an average job.
2. Maybelline Colossal
This was horrible. HORRIBLE. My lashes felt hard and gross and this mascara barely curled my lashes. (I didn’t even bother finding you guys a photo of the brush, its not worth it)
3. Clinique High Impact Mascara
This is one of my everyday classic mascaras. On its own, its a decent mascara. But layered, it provides a nice foundation for all my other mascaras. I like it! It’s cheap and gets the job done
4. Clinique Lash Doubling
This doesn’t give you volume. Nor does it double your lashes. IT DOES however double the LENGTH of your lashes. My lashes have never looked longer. They aren’t fuller, they are just very very long with this so it kinda does makeup for not giving volume. It really separates each and every lash so I enjoy using this on days I want to keep it simple in intensity but I still want to look glam
5. Clinique High Lengths
This brush is jelly like. It bends and has little bristles that stand erect. Its a very wet and very dark formula. My lashes are already black but this makes them VERY black and moist. It does dry easy however. I use this seldom because it doesn’t layer very well with other mascaras.
6. Clinique Bottom Lash
I got this in a set. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have paid for it. Its an alright mascara. I just like the tiny brush because I can go into the corner of my upper lashes. Defeats the whole purpose of a bottom lash haha but it works. I find that it gives me too much mascara on the bottom lash. I want my bottom lashes to be evenly coated but this concentrates it on the lashes it hits first.
7. Benefit Bad Gal
Bad Gal? More like Bad Mascara. Please tell me why this smudges like no other. I don’t get it. Its not good. I don’t like it. I used coat after coat and didn’t see anything praise worthy.
8. Lancome Hypnose Drama
This. Is. Wonderful. Look at the brush. It catches your lashes from every corner and really pulls the back up to curl them. I LOVE this mascara alone and layered. It does a really good job at giving you fullness and volume.
9. Sephora Outrageous Volume
This is one of my favorite mascaras of all time. I got it in a sample box and after months of having it I decided to try it. It’s the most wet formula I’ve ever tried and it takes forever to dry. You have to be super careful to let them dry. Its really hard to remove too and makes a mess. BUT WHEN YOU SEE HOW YOUR LASHES LOOK ITS WORTH IT. I love love love my sample size of this. I think thats partially why I’m such a fan. I have a huge brush and so much control! You gotta try this!
10. Sephora Full Action Mascara in Blue
Its a blue mascara. And it shows up on my black lashes. And looks so cool in the sun. I love it. It actually does a decent job at lengthening too!
11. Bare Escentuals
I love this baby. Its the ultimate volumizing, lengthening, and thickening mascara. Its a huge brush but not a lot of product comes out of once because of the formula. It keeps my lashes soft, unlike most mascaras. They feel flexible ever after hours of wear. I love this!
12. Loreal Teloscopic
I liked the theory behind this. I used the ball on the bottom lashes and in the inner upper corner where I find I lack lashes and my usual mascaras can’t reach. But ultimately, it was not something I would rave about.
The computer lady at my high school was a mary kay rep. Somehow, I was convinced to buy this. I didn’t like it at all. It didn’t do anything for me. So thats a brief explanation but true.
14. Estee Lauder Sumptuous
This again, didn’t do anything for me. It flaked. It dried out easy. It was a dry formula to begin with so I wasn’t super impressed.
I have a Tarte, Clinique, and Makeup Forever waiting for me at home to try after I’m done with these guys! I also heard the Loreal Million Lashes is supposed to be a nice mascara as well as Diorshow.
For everyday, I usually start off with one coat of Clinique followed by either the hypnose drama or bare minerals. And since its summer now, I sometimes put some of my blue mascara for an extra pop of color.
Btw. I don’t work for Clinique or anything haha. I just get lots of gifts with purchases since they are my favorite makeup line.
Leave a comment below and tell me your favorite mascara!!!! Also click the follow button 😉
I seldom ever wore makeup in high school. I was awkward, ugly, chubby, and had no self esteem. My only skill in the beauty world lied in flat ironing my hair till it set off the smoke detector in our house from all the sizzling.
My sister had tried to get me into tinted moisturizers and cover up to help my uneven skin tone. She even bought me the complete alba botanical skin line and passed down a bottle of chanel foundation for special occasions. But I never really cared enough to wear it regularly.
When I got to college, I wanted my outlook on everything to change. I wanted to stop feeling so insecure and wanted to take care of myself. I lost weight, I became confident, and I started looking good for ME. I wanted to be happy with the person I saw in the mirror and I wanted to feel beautiful.
Makeup has definitely helped me feel good about myself. I know its superficial to think you need something from the outside to make you on the inside better, but honestly, it works for me and I’m happy about it. I don’t wear much makeup in my opinion and I go out without it on too. I’m not 100% dependent on it. But I would also be lying to you if I said I don’t feel naked without it. Its a struggle to find a balance and its something I honestly work on. I just never want to feel like I did in high school. People don’t realize that those four years stick with you more than any other time in your life.
It took me a while to find the best makeup for me, but after I did, I’ve stuck with it for 3+ years!
SO WHAT DO I WEAR?
1. Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizer – This is just a really good moisturizer that makes my foundation stick
2. Clinique Even Better Foundation – My holy grail. I’ve used #16 for 3 years and I will never stop. Its beautiful coverage and so natural. It really makes me look like myself, just a bit enhanced. I use a sephora foundation brush and a fake beauty blender I got at marshalls to apply/blend!
3. Nars Laguna Bronzer – This is my setting powder. I literally run my brush over my face once with this and it sets it + gives me a glow. I use a Clinique powder foundation brush to put this on!
4. Mac Melba Blush or Lancome Sheer Amourose – Either of these are beautiful. Melba is peach while Sheer Amourose looks like a gross matte color in the pan but it is BEAUTIFUL on. I seriously think its the most universal color ever and its perfect for beginners because its very hard to over apply this color!
5. Mascara – I have like 3 favorites. Anything by Clinique is good. Bare minerals volumizing is my favorite, as is Lancome hypnose drama. I usually wear many many coats of mascara because by the end of the day, thats all you can see on my face. Sometimes to be outrageous I wear blue mascara hehe!
6. Optional: Kat von D tattoo eyeliner – For the days I want to change up my look a little more
In all honesty, the makeup is super simple and super natural. People can’t tell I’m wearing anything sometimes. And I don’t care to conceal my more obvious imperfections on a day to day basis but sometimes I use a ysl highlighter to conceal if I have a pimple. And I also don’t really wear lip products or eyeshadow because those really aren’t my thing.
Tell me your routine!!!!